Here are some steps you can take to help minimize the impact of allergens on your pet.
- To minimize your pet’s exposure to pollens and help them keep their dog allergies in check, keep your grass cut short.
- Keep your pet indoors dawn and dusk when the pollen count is high and while mowing the grass.
- Use the air conditioner as much as possible.
- Rinse or wipe off your dog with water when coming in from outside.
- To decrease your pet’s exposure to molds, try and prevent access to damp areas of a home and yard such as basements, crawl spaces, under decking, under bushes, and mulch.
- Use a dehumidifier.
- Clean and disinfect humidifiers.
- Keep houseplants to a minimum.
- Don’t feed dusty dog foods.
- Avoid barns.
- To minimize exposure to dust mites, try and keep your pet out of rooms with carpeting and rugs.
- Use dust mite covers on dog beds.
- If your dog sleeps in your bed, use dust mite covers on your mattress and pillows.
- Wash bedding that your pet lays on in hot water, once weekly.
- Try and keep your dog off of stuffed furniture.
- Avoid stuffed toys.
- Use a dehumidifier or air conditioner on humid days.
By Lauren R. Pinchbeck DVM, MS, DACVD |
January 24, 2022